A 55-year-old disabled tenant living in a mold-infested bungalow is considering moving into a TENT in her backyard

|

A disabled woman said she plans to live in a tent in her garden or even her hut, saying the asbestos in it “would take 30 years to get to me, but mold is affecting me now.”

Donna Chatterley, 55, from Tattershall, Lincolnshire, first complained to her landlord about mold in her bedroom in February this year, but said the problem remained.

She now has mold in her cupboards, walls and furniture and claims it is starting to affect her health.

Chatterley said her kitchen cupboards were so moldy that she kept groceries in the living room.

Donna Chatterley, 55, from Tattershall, Lincolnshire, said mold was beginning to affect her health

Donna Chatterley, 55, from Tattershall, Lincolnshire, said mold was beginning to affect her health

Mold in Mrs. Chatterley's house.  She said it spilled over into her kitchen cupboards

Mold in Mrs. Chatterley’s house. She said it spilled over into her kitchen cupboards

Her GP said she was living with conditions affecting her health and that they would support moving to more suitable accommodation.

Mrs. Chatterley, who has mobility issues and mental illnesses, experiences aspergillosis, an infection caused by mold.

It comes after the coroner found young boy Awab Isaac had died of a mold-related respiratory illness in a housing association flat in Rochdale, Greater Manchester, in December 2020.

Since his grisly death, Housing Minister Michael Gove has cracked down on poor housing, asking all council and housing authorities to provide details of how they intend to tackle damp and mold.

Meanwhile, housing ombudsman Richard Blakeway has warned it has seen a “significant increase” in mold and damp cases being referred.

Mrs Chatterley said her problem had become so bad that she was considering living in a tent in the garden or even in a shed, despite the danger of loose asbestos.

She explained: ‘I’m buying a bell tent and a wood stove so I can live in the garden as the living room I slept in is now starting to develop mold.

“I even consider sleeping in the shed while the asbestos drips off the roof. It was 30 years before the asbestos got to me, but now the mold in the house bothers me.”

Pictures show a mold problem in Mrs. Chatterley's home, which has spread to walls and cupboards

Pictures show a mold problem in Mrs. Chatterley’s home, which has spread to walls and cupboards

Ms Chatterley said her Platform Housing Group had concluded there was a problem with condensation.

I got a second opinion from a private company and they said the mold in the bathroom was due to a lack of insulation.

Ms Chatterley escalated her complaint to the Platform – and made another complaint to the Ombudsman about the failure to resolve the mold issue.

“The stand wanted to test the concrete floor for moisture in the middle of a heat wave,” she said.

“It wouldn’t be better, I suggested, to come in the winter when it’s damp rather than dry.”

Her food also became moldy and she moved from the kitchen cupboards to the living room

Her food was also moldy and she moved from the kitchen cupboards to the living room

Her food was also moldy and she moved from the kitchen cupboards to the living room

Her neighbor Kerry O’Brien, 48, also suffers from mold and damp in the home she rents from Platform.

Ms O’Brien said she first noticed the problem about seven months ago and that the mold is also causing her health problems.

She said, “Recently I couldn’t even sleep. I had to go to my sister’s house to sleep in her living room or else I would feel sick.

A spokesperson for the platform said: “We are sorry to hear of Ms Chatterley’s situation. Unfortunately, a client recently canceled an appointment.

“However, we now have a set date where we will give her advice on how to regulate the humidity in her home.”